Today is the 1st Anniversary of Dick's death.

Please use this form to write your comments, thoughts, stories, etc.. about Dick.

Moderator: WA URISA Board

Today is the 1st Anniversary of Dick's death.

Postby Mike Onzay on Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:14 am

Hard to believe that it has been a year. :(
Mike Onzay
GIS Coordinator
City of Mercer Island
Mike Onzay

Postby amandataub on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:20 am

Yes...It is hard to believe that it has been a full year since Dick left us. However, I think that Dick would be pleased with all that WAURISA has accomplished to reach out to GIS students. We still have a lot to do.

Regards,

Amanda Taub
Amanda H. S. Taub, GISP
GIS Analyst
CWGIS Organizer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/amandahstaub
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/amandataub
Facebook:
amandataub

Postby JohnQAdams on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:24 pm

I miss Dick. :(

R.I.P. my friend.
JohnQAdams

Re: Today is the 1st Anniversary of Dick's death.

Postby JohnQAdams on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:43 pm

2 years already. :( How time flies.

I'm doing fine, Dick. :)
JohnQAdams

Re: Today is the 1st Anniversary of Dick's death.

Postby ksuworks on Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:54 pm

3-1/3 years. I didn't know Dick had passed until about a year ago, I re-entered the GIS world and our GIS class was considering submitting a project for the Dick Thomas student award (we never did). I thought, yes Dick sure is deserving of this to be named after him, but does this mean he's no longer on the planet? Sadly the latter was true.

My first acquaintance with Dick was, I can't remember how I got referred to him, but he graciously met with me for 45 minutes at his water district to chat about GIS careers and to gently say buddy you got a ways to go, but you can, go to it. This was a few months before the Indonesian tsunami GIS response came together, and I saw him very active there and he remembered me from our brief talk.

Now I'm back in GIS and he (and Rod Sakrison from Dept of Ecology) are two of the people I'm too late to thank.

A 3rd GISer to memorialize: Joan Velikanje, also from Ecology. Ecology eliminated her cartography position and career in the mid-90s, assigned her to permitting where she excelled and made some decisions that saved people's lives, and she beat cancer for 10+ years until, I just found out, this past summer. I didn't know til now that she co-authored a paper in 1991 on using GIS for wetland inventorying.

We walk in the footsteps of some very good people.

K-Y Su
Now Am Found GeoGraphics
ksuworks

Return to In Remembrance of Dick Thomas