Remembering Richard

Please use this form to write your comments, thoughts, stories, etc.. about Dick.

Moderator: WA URISA Board

Remembering Richard

Postby amandataub on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:29 pm

I first met Dick when I started an internship at the City of Mercer Island under Mike Onzay during the Summer of 2000. I was very green and wet behind the ears since I had just graduated from Central Washington University. One of the great benefits of working for Mercer Island was the easy access to the Central Puget Sound GIS User Group's meetings. The group met and still meets in the council chambers at Mercer Island.

I greatly appreciated Dick for his welcome to a shy and uncertain fledgeling GIS professional. He encouraged me to join the CPS User Group and list. The group and list were big helps to me when I finally found a full time and permanent GIS job. I learned a lot from him and the list.

I send my sympathies to his family. Dick will be greatly missed.

Sincerely,

Amanda
Amanda H. S. Taub, GISP
GIS Analyst
CWGIS Organizer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/amandahstaub
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/amandataub
Facebook:
amandataub

From Rick Lortz

Postby amandataub on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:32 pm

I met Dick while doing well mapping work for the KC Health dept. He was my go-to & how-to guy for GIS. He was my inspiration in pursueing that path and was the one who nudged me into WaURISA participation.
I have often considered Dick's attitude and demeanor as what I'd like to be when I grow up.
We've lost a pioneer and good friend, but we've gained a beacon..
With sympathy for Dick's family,
Rick Lortz
253 946 5403

Originally posted Wednesday, July 26.
amandataub

From JohnQAdams

Postby amandataub on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:33 pm

I knew Dick from back in the early 90's when we were both working at the King County Surface Water Management Division.

In the fall of 2004 he hired me do to a programming project at Sammplat, which I finished just about a year ago. He was a great guy and a real big help to my career. My current position at Jones and Stokes I got because he recommended me to the GIS guy I work with.

I am still speechless about this. :cry:

Originally posted Wednesday, July 26.
amandataub

Postby JohnQAdams on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:14 pm

^
That was originally written by JohnQAdams. ;)
JohnQAdams

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:58 pm

Return to In Remembrance of Dick Thomas